It goes without saying, that renting out a house is a wonderful way to earn extra income for homeowners. Furthermore, renting out a house is rather easy as compared to selling a house which is a much-complicated process. Not to mention the fact that it also allows you to retain ownership of your home while making a profit out of it. Besides, if you are short on cash and need money to pay for bills, mortgage payments or other expenses, leasing out your property is a great way of getting some extra income. However, while most renters aren’t as picky as buyers, there are still several things you need to do to get your property rent-ready.
Furthermore, preparing property for rent is an important part in attracting a tenant, and also in ensuring that it is suitable to be lived in. Listed below are five ways to prepare your home for rent.
1. Invest in minor repairs- If there are parts of the house, which require fixing or repairs, these need to be attended to immediately. Besides, probably the last thing you want is to have problems or accidents faced by the tenants within your apartment. Thus, all the small repair works should be completed before letting out the home for rent.
2. Enhance with scent- How your home smells can leave a lasting mark on a potential tenant. Furthermore, make sure you avoid cooking smelly foods before showing your house. If the weather allows, open all the windows and air it out. Bake cookies, put a potpourri on the stove, or spray an air or fabric freshener.
3. De-personalize- Let’s face it, renters need to be able to imagine themselves living inside a house, so leaving up any personal items or decorating the house to your own personal taste can dampen that illusion. Furthermore, professionally staging the property is often an ideal option, but personal artwork or photographs won’t go over well with potential renters.
4. Keep the clutter at bay- You want renters to focus on how beautiful and spacious your house is, not how messy it looks. Furthermore, if one removes a lot of the clutter that has been built up over the years of collecting, one can dramatically increase the appeared size of the room. Moreover, by removing the clutter, the room can open up and the renters can envision the room with their properties in it.
5. Remove all traces of pets- Even if would-be renters are fond of animals, seeing your pets running around the house might put them off. Moreover, floors covered with pet’s hair will have a negative impact, as will a strong animal smell. Make sure you get rid of feeding bowls and litter trays before showing your house to the renters.
While these were some of the ways to prepare your home for rent, there are many others, such as spruce up the walls, clean up among many others.