Let’s face it, selling your home in today’s real estate market can be a long, stressful process. Not to mention, in today’s economy, some houses are remaining on the market for months. Whether you are a first time home seller or a seasoned home selling veteran, the process of selling a house will inevitably be challenging and complex. Furthermore, investing some time and effort upfront to prepare your home for showings will generally increase the likelihood of receiving offers soon after you list your home. Besides, buyers are looking for the best, so a house for sale by owner can easily slip through the cracks if it’s not in top-notch condition.
While you can’t change your house’s location or other market forces that determine home value, there are some things you can control that will affect what price you’re offered. Read on to find out five ways to make your home stand out when selling.
1. Make first impressions count- When selling your home, first impressions can make or break your sale. Furthermore, when buyers view a house, they will generally make up their mind about whether they like it or not within a few minutes. It is known that the way the house looks from the outside plays a big part in influencing this decision. Make sure you tidy up the front garden or give the front door a fresh lick of paint, so that when they are approaching the property from across the street, the first impression is a positive one.
2. Clean the clutter- You want buyers to focus on how beautiful and spacious your house is, not how messy it looks. Furthermore, if one removes a lot of the clutter that has been built up over the years of collecting, one can dramatically increase the appeared size of the room. Moreover, by removing the clutter, the room can open up and the buyers can envision the room with their properties in it.
3. Do all the necessary repairs- In addition to decluttering your house, make sure you fix all major and minor repairs before you put your home on the market, otherwise, buyers will be overwhelmed by all the work that needs to be done.
4. Remove all traces of pets- Even if would-be buyers are fond of animals, seeing your pets running around the house might put them off. Moreover, floors covered with pet’s hair will have a negative impact, as will a strong animal smell. Make sure you get rid of feeding bowls and litter trays before showing your house to the buyers.
5. Enhance with scent- How your home smells can leave a lasting mark on a potential buyer. Furthermore, make sure you avoid cooking smelly foods before showing your house. If the weather allows, open all the windows and air it out. Bake cookies, put a potpourri on the stove, or spray an air or fabric freshener.
Selling your home can be a daunting task. With so much to consider, it’s often hard to make your home for sale by owner different from the hundreds of other properties on the market. Arming yourself with the above-mentioned tips and tricks will help you to stand out, get attention and more importantly sell your home as quickly as possible.