When it comes to selling your home on your own, presenting it in the best possible light will significantly improve your chances of securing a high sale price. Furthermore, investing some time and effort upfront to prepare your home for showings will generally increase the likelihood of receiving offers soon after you list your home. A few minor touch-ups can not only help in making a favorable impression on potential buyers but can also help you sell your property quickly. Besides, buyers are looking for the best, so a home for sale by owner can easily slip through the cracks if it is not in top-notch condition.
Furthermore, there are a number of factors that you need to take into consideration when preparing your home for sale. Read on to find out five tips to prepare your home for sale.
1. Keep your home clean-It goes without saying that a clean home shows buyers that you have a well kept and well cared for house. Make sure you properly clean the house before showing off your home to the potential buyers. In addition, pay extra attention to the bathroom and kitchen as these areas harbor the most dirt.
2. Enhance with scent– How your home smells can leave a lasting mark on a potential buyer. Furthermore, make sure you avoid cooking smelly foods before showing your house. If the weather allows, open all the windows and air it out. Bake cookies, put a potpourri on the stove, or spray an air or fabric freshener.
3. Clean the outside– Let’s face it, no matter how beautiful the interior of your home looks, if your house doesn’t look good from the outside, odds are you won’t be able to sell it quickly. Needless to say, it’s important to make people feel warm, welcome and safe as they approach the house. Spruce up your home’s exterior with inexpensive shrubs and brightly colored flowers. In addition, be sure to clean the gutters and pressure wash your home’s siding.
4. Lighten up– Before showing your house to the buyers, make sure you open up all the windows to let in natural light and add floor or table lamps to areas that are dim. Besides, a bright, cheery room looks bigger and more inviting and can help you make a great first impression on buyers.
5. Keep the clutter at bay– You want buyers to focus on how beautiful and spacious your house is, not how messy it looks. Furthermore, if one removes a lot of the clutter that has been built up over the years of collecting, one can dramatically increase the appeared size of the room. Moreover, by removing the clutter, the room can open up and the buyers can envision the room with their properties in it.
While these were some of the tips and tricks to prepare your home for sale by owner, there are many others, such as make repairs, improve your landscaping, get rid of personal items among many others.